>The background at http://data.markjardine.com/tumblr/img/bg_texture.png
>looks like it it could have been made following this tutorial
>http://gimp-tutorials.net/gimp-pattern#comment-4062
>
>You can vary various things to get the effect you want, here is
>something that is perhaps a little coarse and dark compared to what you
>want http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/cf1.html

Hi Owen.

That tutorial creates a very regular and smooth looking pattern. Marks
background image looks a lot less regular and less smooth. It looks more like
an artifact from nature, like a sandy surface, where the tutorial pattern
looks the opposite - the product of a mechanized process.

Thanks for chipping in, but I'm after an effect that is quiet different.

--
bob (via www.gimpusers.com)