You already get a lot of good advices

I will add that just apply a simplicistic but very effective trick may do
marvels

just some gaussian blur on your gradient may create all the smoothness you
may desire ...more the range, more smoothness

(you can't save "as gradient" a blurred gradient but you may well apply
gaussian blur after applied the gradient)

--
photocomix (via www.gimpusers.com)