My suggestion is to use Gimp for what you need, and work with a higher
end camera that produces raw format images. Get Akkana Peck's book and
start with that. Post emails to this list when you need some help. It
also doesn't hurt to have a website where you can post your photos to.

I take technical photos (as a not very good amateur!) and edit them in
the Gimp. I feel no need for Photoshop. The choice of either software
title is really a personal preference.

I myself have not seen a photographer using film in quite some time.
They all seem to be digital now. For example, the photographer for my
daughter's wedding is a professional and he used a Nikon digital.

I fix computers for many different people, but don't have a professional
photographer among them. Many of my users are interested in working with
digital photos and they want "light" versions of Photoshop. But here is
what they are really looking for: they want software that acts as a
"magic bullet" that modifies a photo with little or no effort on their
parts, and yields a pleasing look. I have yet to see anyone with an
instructional book on image manipulation software of any kind. My
customers are allergic to learning curves and will give up very quickly
if presented with a task that requires them to learn anything. They want
the software and computer to do it all for them with no hands.

Given limits on your available time, and so on, the 30 day "free"
Photoshop trial may not be enough to evaluate it properly. I know from
watching others play with different software titles that they can take 3
months to decide something is or is not doing what they want.

As another person said, if you are interested in having a specific
feature implemented in Gimp why not offer feedback to the developers and
request it? That will give you a better product and it is still free.

Bob