Tobias,
Here are the answers to your questions.

>Can you upload somewhere such a file?
An incomplete scanned file, which is a bit larger has
been uploaded here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b08c72g/n/Temp00395.Tif

The file size is 3.72 Meg and Pixel size is 21600 x 36000
at 1BPP.

>Which operating system do you use?
Ubuntu 9.10 32 Bit with all the latest updates & Gnome Desktop.

>Which exact Gimp version do you use?
GIMP Ver 2.6.7 included with Ubuntu Install ISO.

>Are there any warnings or errors?
No Warnings or errors, but the screen does go dim and GIMP
just hangs, eventually wanting a FORCED Quit.

I have installed Irfanview in WINE 1.0.1.  I have just tried opening this
file in Irfanview 4.23, then saving it
to Temp00395a.Tif, and then I can load this new saved Tif
in Gimp Ver 2.6.7......but it takes forever.

Computer is a Compaq Laptop CQ50-139NR with Core II Duo with 3 Gig RAM and
500 Gig Drive, with Ubuntu on a 127 Gig
Partition.

Thanks.

lk