Also, consider using either the fuzzy select tool (magic wand) instead of
scissors. You can fiddle with the threshold settings to get good results.

GIMP also provides a handy function in the Color menu called "Color to
alpha", by default it does exactly what you want to do (but will also remove
some white under your icons, so do the selection first anyways).