------big snip --------

>Conceal the trickery by flipping the clipart vertically :-)

>Unless someone has a better solution?

>--
>Bertrand

You can get a 'reasonable' result in Gimp. The colours actually select quite
well and I found painting over with a large brush better than a bucket fill.
Still those annoying pixels around the dark blue area spoil it.

A better solution?

Best results by far were with inkscape so maybe OP should consult the inkscape
people.
my attempt here http://imgur.com/UPWO2

rich (via gimpusers.com)