>On 03/07/2011 08:31 PM, gerard82 wrote:
>> I use Gentoo Linux.
>> I installed Gimp-2.7.2 in /opt.
>> It runs well to some extent.
>> I also have Gimp-2.6.11 installed in /usr.
>> I copied /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gutenprint to /opt/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins.
>> It shows up in File>Print with gutenprint but I get an error:
>> Couldn't execute "gutenprint" because it uses an obsolete version of the
>> plug-in protocol.
>> Where can I find info about this whole protocol thing?
>> I also get error messages from scripts which indicated that regular
>> expressions in script-fu have changed.
>> Gerard.
>>

>You have to recompile all the plug-ins that you want to use with the new
>version of gimp. You can't just copy them. I do not use Gutenprint, but
>usually I download the sources of the plug-ins and compile and install
>them with
>gimptool --install <plug-in.c>
>Note that this may overwrite files in your home gimp plug-ins or the
>system wide gimp plug-ins directory, so check this first.
>Be sure to use the gimptool program that came with the version of GIMP
>that you want the plug-in to work with.

>Greetings,
>Petar

Thanks for answering.
Gutenprint is a case apart.It's not like the regular python plugins.
In Gentoo you can indicate to the package managing system that you want it also
as a plugin for Gimp.
All packages in Gentoo are compiled on your box.
I have in the past done this with 2.6 several times worked ok.
Gerard.

--
gerard82 (via gimpusers.com)