I was trying to find something to put in a SF-DIRNAME widget that
would work on all platforms.

I tried "/".  Bad choice on *nix/Mac, cause it leaves you at root of
file system.

On windows, "/" is displayed as "\"; the parameter associated with
the SF-DIRNAME displays with gimp-message as \, but throws an error
when used as argument to SF-DIRNAME string-append.

If it is genuinely coming back as a single backslash I can see why
(string-append would have problems with it (a single escape \
shouldn't be allowed, and indeed generates an error in e.g.

 (define x "\")

in the console)

So, something a bit wrong there?

And back to my original problem: is there any way to make sure I land
in a sensible folder (like $HOME or windows %USERPROFILE) when using
SF-DIRNAME?  "~" doesn't work for Windows.  Null string ends up in
<GIMP install>\bin on windows, $HOME I think on Mac/*nix.

Yrs,

Alan

Fac ut gaudeam:

  Make my day.