I think that what you've done is fine up to a point.

When the drop-shadow is created, it's put onto it's own layer, so your image
now has two layers, BUT when you then set the drawable to the active layer:
(set! drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image)))

and save that layer ONLY:

(gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename filename)

you are only saving the original image/layer, resized to allow for the drop
shadow.

I think you need to merge the layers before you set the drawable to the active
layer:

(set! drawable (car (gimp-image-merge-visible-layers image CLIP-TO-IMAGE)))

--
paynekj (via gimpusers.com)