On 07/21/2011 03:14 PM, JPL wrote:
> Le 21/07/2011 23:51, Mikael Ståldal a écrit :
>> Is there any better noise reduction filter for GIMP than the built in
>> Wavelet Denoise? It does remove the noise, but also make the image a bit
>> blurry.
>>
>> Wavelet Denoise in ufraw has the same problem.
>>
>> I know it is possible to do it better since my new camera, Canon
>> PowerShot S95, does it better when saving to JPEG. But the camera
>> doesn't do noise reduction when saving to RAW.
> There are several denoising scripts here : registry.gimp.org/
> I like Unsharp Mask 2 0.12 which gives me very fine results (I use only
> the first five settings).
In your camera it's able to do a black shot to get the average noise of
your sensors.  That gives it a HUGE advantage.  It can just subtract
that from the image.  Some of the sensor wells are always more noisy
than others.  You can do the same if you know a bit about graphics, take
a few shots with your lens cap on in raw mode, get them on to your
computer, make a noise mask with averaged values from each pixel, then
subtract that from all your raw images.  Surely there's someone's
software that can do that already given the black images.  Anyone?

Patrick