>I wanted to make a rough metallic surface and I ended up with this by
>fiddling around with a back-to-white gradient and emboss it. I finally
>got a clean 200x200 image that alings seamlessy and can be used as a
>pattern:

>http://www.staldal.nu/gimp/patterns/metallic.pat

>(You can make it golden by colorify with yellow.)

>Are there any other strateiges for making a rough metallic surface?

>(Feel free to use this pattern if you like it.)

You might use a bump map. Open a suitable image, plenty if you search google
images, in your case perhaps part of a larger image as a base. Then in your new
image it is filters -> map -> bumpmap and point at the 'rusted' image.

You get an effect like this. http://i.imgur.com/73HYK.jpg

Since you are aiming at a small image for a tilable pattern, then its filters
-> map -> make tilable.

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)