Running the Gimp 1.0.4 on RedHat 6.1 here and having a bit of a problem
with the PNG file format.  I've got a couple of GIF images with
transparency that I'm trying to convert to PNG format (I know, I know,
some browsers have problems with this) but nonetheless, if I try to save
a file with alpha as PNG the process doing the save core dumps each time
after writing about 50 bytes.  Removing alpha prior to save allows me to
save the image properly.  GIMP documentation and Mike Hammel's book are
very sparse on their treatment of issues regarding alpha and
transparency in images.  Would someone please share some expert advice
with the list?

Regards,
//Jeff