>Thanks for your lead. I have located a Helix RPM of Gimp-1-1-24 and
>successfully installed it. Do you happen to know if I also need to install
>(whether by RPM or make) the associated gimp-data file, or is it already a
>part of Gimp-1-1-24 ?

I have been a bit offline latelly (exams and work), so me last Helix has
1.1.22, and I used it too few. IIRC they do not provide too many things, so
you could give a try to that file. Install under /usr/local/ so you do not
kill anyhting based in RPM, and use the Preferences dialog to point Gimp to
the correct data dirs.

GSR