Hi Jonathan -

Did anyone ever answer this? I didn't see a response,
so ignore this if you already got an answer.

If you click twice on the gradient tool, you can
choose a Blend of "Foreground to Transparent".
Set the color you want, such as black, as your
foreground color. Then apply the gradient either
from left to right, or right to left. Will this
create the effect you want??

Teri Ward
Technical Writer/Web Designer
Seattle