Hi Jake,

yep, you basically understand it correctly, it is indeed something
like a SSSP, but I'm starting from many vertices at the same time (so
i'd call it a grammar-based ASSP).

To make it more clear, the current code looks like:

    @Override
    public void compute(Iterator<Message> messages)
    throws IOException {

        if (getSuperstep() == 0 && isSource()) {
            processMessage(new Message(this.query, new ResultSet()));
        } else {
            while (messages.hasNext()) {
                processMessage(messages.next());
            }
        }

        voteToHalt();
    }

as you can see I have used a hack and saved the query as VertexValue
(so I at least saved parsing it multiple times from String).

With what I have in mind, I could remove the first if-condition completely.
Also, as not all the vertices are starting vertices, I could obtain
the complete list of starting vertices by running a filter based on
the first element of my stack/query. Suppose my query asks for all the
actors who have acted in a movie which took place in USA. (actor -
acted_in -> movie - takes_place -> USA), I could set as a starting
vertices only those vertices that have an outgoing edge with label
"acted_in". That would save quite a lot. As we didn't have an API to
do this yet, I still haven't figured out how to do this precisely, but
i guess this could be done in the VertexReader.

--
    Claudio Martella
    claudio.marte...@gmail.com