I believe that in many urban areas in the early 20th century, and later
in some places, something like 80 to 90% of people had TB infections,
but only a minority developed long-term or fatal illness.

My mother had lung X-rays as an adult which indicated that she had
probably had TB as a child, but obviously recovered.

It was/is very different if TB is introduced somewhere where it has
not previously been endemic, and where people have not developed
resistance. Some Native American communities were almost wiped out
as a result of suddenly being exposed to TB infections carried by
white settlers.

Ann