I usually work on Sarah=s-air-a and Sara=sahra, as that fits _most_ of the
people I come across, but I now know a Sara who pronounces her name S-air-a,
and I'm sure I knew another in the 1970's at junior school.  So I don't think
it's a hard and fast rule, though in the UK it does seem to be a tendency (or
is it just that way where I've lived?)

Katie