Thomas, thanks for your reply. Per your advice, I simplified the directory structure. The new Windows7 directory structure is: C:/Users/Me/newProject
and I reset the Git home directory to C:/Users/Me When Git Bash starts the pointer is Me@PC and echo $HOME returns C/Users/Me I no longer have the phrase (master) on any of the Git Bash pointer lines. Several things are confusing to me (that's not new for my experience with Git, so far) and I wonder if moving directories broke something in Git, even though git files remain in the moved directories. Here is the situation. 1. Windows Explorer shows a .gitconfig and a .gitignore in C:/Users/Me and it shows a .gitignore in C:/Users/Me/newProject 2.Windows Explorer does not show a .git file in either of the above directories. 3.With Git Bash at the home directory, Me@PC ~ a git status or a git status --global returns fatal:not a git repository 4.With Git Bash at the project directory Me@PC ~/newProject a git status returns fatal:not a git repository 5.With Git Bash at the project directory Me@PC ~/newProject ls -la returns the same file information as Windows Explorer and both of them include .gitignore, but neither of them have .git 6. as I said above, I no longer get (master) in any Git Bash pointer What should I do to get Git working? - Git Bash is working, but hopefully you know what I mean. On Monday, April 28, 2014 4:39:40 PM UTC-4, Michael Laird wrote: > > My Windows7 directories are as follows: > C:/User/Me/Projects/newProject > > My home pointer for Git Bash is User/Me/Projects and in Git Bash, it also > says (master) > > I have a .gitconfig and a .gitignore in the Projects directory. I guess > that .gitconfig was created by the git config --global command. That > .gitconfig file says the core.excludesfile is excludesfile = > ~/.gitignore , which I hope directs git to the .gitignore file in the > same directory. I created that .gitignore file and populated it with > suggestions from GitHub to ignore things like .com files and OS generated > files, all of which are intended to be general exclusions to any project. > > I have a .git file in Projects. I am hoping that is where the repository > for newProject will have its contents. Its not clear to me how it got there. > > I have a .gitignore file in newProject with some specific exclusions for > that project. > > Is this set up correctly? Are there git commands that I could use to > confirm that exclusions work as I expect, before I commit. I dislike > cleanup, and find git documentation to be "modest", at best. It has taken > me many days to get this far. > > Thanks for any advice or insights. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git for human beings" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
