On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:35, Benjamin Podszun
<benjamin.pods...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
> <marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Benjamin Podszun
> > <benjamin.pods...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You helped a lot answering the "how to deploy and don't f.. up the
> system" part, but I'm still not sure when to update and if it's a good
> idea to follow "master".
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

My way: create Gitorious as a project on your own installation, then add
this location as a remote (meta, no?) Deploy from this remote branch. Now
you have your own copy, and on a regular basis you can pull from the
official master, and try it out on your own setup.

git remote rm origin
git remote add origin g...@git.myhost.com:gitorious/gitorious.git
git remote add official git://gitorious.org/gitorious/mainline.git
git push origin master # Uploads your Gitorious clone to, well, your
Gitorious clone

Whenever there are updates, pull them into a local branch, e.g:

git checkout -b update
git fetch origin
git rebase origin/master

Now you can play with the update to make sure everything works. If it does,
you can safely deploy:

git checkout master
git rebase update
git branch -d update