I'm seeing essentially the same error here. All scripts are being run
as the git user.

As far as I can tell git-poller and git-daemon don't want to stay
running though. I try to make sure they are running and then re-
trigger the message from /admin/repositories but no luck. Oddly I was
able to create one repository, now I just can't create any new ones.

git user is defined in gitorious.yml

/etc/init.d/git-poller is:
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop the git poller
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          git-poller
# Required-Start:    stomp
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      1
# Short-Description: Gitorious poller
### END INIT INFO

/bin/su - git -c "cd /var/www/gitorious;RAILS_ENV=production script/
poller $@"

/etc/init.d/git-daemon is set to the right ruby

I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks!