On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Hedge Hog <hedgehogshia...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Github has an API available as a starting point.  If I entered my
> users name and API key Gitorious could:
> Collate and present (respecting rate limits):
>  - Convenience links to my Github projects (see badges examples below)
>  - Summary of activity on my Github projects.
>  - Link/info to/about the Gitorious users who can be 'matched' to my
> Github project's contributors listing

I really love Github, and I agree that it would be very useful to have some
kind of aggregation of activities by the same person between the two
services (Gitorious and Github). In fact, why exclude Bitbucket, Google Code
and Launchpad in there too, perhaps even Sourceforge? I don't think the
right approach is to tie Gitorious directly to Github; rather each service
should expose its data through an API, maybe even a standardized/generalized
API, as you suggest below.

Gitorious does expose quite a lot of data in JSON/XML format; as rule of
thumb you could try appending .json or .xml to a URL to see what is exposed.
If you need something that isn't exposed you could either implement it and
create a merge request, or post it to the mailing list - in which case I'm
sure someone will help.

Unless there is a real issue with its design, it seems that v2 of the
> Github API is a good starting set of behaviors to replicate.
> Keeping the API and returned datat structures the same eliminates one
> more thing to learn.

Agreed, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. In fact, our web hooks
feature (http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/WebHooks) is modeled around
Github's JSON representation with some differences. The most important
difference is that Github doesn't have a notion of project (I know they call
repositories projects). For our web hooks we've tried to be pragmatic about
this; the obvious thing to do would be to represent the relationship as
project->repository->commits or similar, but rather we have added the
project information at the same level as the repository information.

I think, however, that the API topic is slightly different from the topic of
Gitorious-Gitorious federation?

Cheers,
- Marius