> I read into the source a little bit (though mind you I've never spoken a
> word of ruby before last night, so take all that I say with a grain of
> salt), and found a few things: client.rb:82 is not expecting sub-URI
> installs (which is what I've done; i.e. I installed gitorious to be
> accessible via
> appliance.exultant.us/git).<http://appliance.exultant.us/git%29.>..
> I fixed that with a terrible hack (i.e. just prefacing that query_url with
> "/git"); problem remains.

Eric, I think you did great for a first timer Ruby hacker :)

> Now I'm a bit stuck.  I enabled the debugging statement around there when I
> try the clone command at the client again I get a message confirming that
> gitorious is "Querying /git/house/wdev/config"... and indeed, if I go to
> https://appliance.exultant.us/git/house/wdev/config in my browser I get a
> lovely little blast of yaml.
>
> I'm guessing at this point that the problem here is that gitorious is
> trying to get that url over port 443 as I instructed in
> config/gitorious.yml, but over HTTP -- with out the S -- which would indeed
> result in apache on my server giving a "Bad Request" page with that exact
> doctype on the first line.

Right. Am I understanding this correctly that you are not exposing Gitorious
over HTTP at all? Only HTTPS?

> If I'm reading into this correctly, how can I go about telling gitorious to
> use HTTPS there?  And will there be any patches coming down the line for
> making sub-URI installs work a little more smoothly?

There are currently no specific plans to do so, but I'm all for it. I don't
think it will be a huge job. If anyone is up for doing it (remember tests!)
I'll be happy to merge it in.

(Another option is to fund development which would allow us to more easily
prioritise it. Sorry for the blatant sell, but we're doing Gitorious for a
living, and there's a lot to do, can't prioritise it all...)

Cheers,
Christian