Hi, just want to talk about the status of the migration to Devise.

I've been learning about Gitorious authentication, Devise and Warden lately.

Here is part of what I learned:

Devise is built upon Warden. Warden is a Rack middleware that is lazily loaded through a lazy object available at env.request['warden'] for a Rack application.

It allows different applications in the same Rack stack to share a common authentication system.

You can authenticate using Warden with env.request['warden'].authenticate(:passord, :another_strategy, :etc). This will try the Password strategy, then AnotherStrategy if the prior was not successful, etc. Devise actually uses warden.authenticate(:scope => :user) in the case of Gitorious. Warden supports authentication for different scopes and Devise supports scopes :user and :admin, although I'm only considering a single scope (:user) for Gitorious at the moment.

The strategies used are set in Devise config, which delegate to Warden manager through a default_strategies method.

I'll write more about this when I get at work or I'll miss the bus ;)

Best regards!