On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Philip Matuskiewicz <p...@matthouse.us>wrote:

> I thought it would be appropriate to post this to anyone who would
> like a good step by step guide to installing Gitorious to their own
> server since it took me several days to figure out.
>
> http://famousphil.com/blog/2011/06/installing-gitorious-on-centos-5-6-x64/

Philip,
Thanks a lot, looks really good! I'm jotting down a few comments here:

*Gem installation*: I don't think this is necessary, since we use Bundler
these days. The only gem that should be required is the bundler gem (gem
install bundler), after which `bundle install` should take care of the rest
of the gems.

*XSendFile configuration*: For git over HTTP to work, you should probably
add a XSendFilePath for where you keep your Git repositories on the server.

*Skip SSL enforcement*: There's a new option for disabling/enabling SSL in
config/gitorious.yml. The sample file has a description and example of this.
(No need for the SslRequirement.disable_ssl_check instruction, iirc).

Bonus points for the firewall instructions, I haven't seen any other guides
mentioning this.

Again: great stuff, thanks a lot. If you feel up to it, it would be very
helpful if you'd keep an eye on announcements of changes we make to
Gitorious on this list; there is a big problem with install guides that
become obsolete after a while.

Cheers,
- Marius