Thanks, Marius.  I will try with ruby 1.8.  Based on some comments I read,
I thought problems with ruby 1.9 might be limited to encodings...which I
hoped I could work around.  Maybe not.  I realize that a lot of apps are
frozen on ruby 1.8.  That's ok.  I don't see many people rushing to adopt
python 3 either.  :)