On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Austin Montgomery <montg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> So I have come up with a solution. I added the following line to my git
> users crontab and it has the git-proxy up and running without a hitch on
> reboot.
>
> * * * * * cd /var/www/gitorious && env RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec
> script/git-proxy 2>&1 >/dev/null

Austin,
Glad to hear you got it working. A couple of alternatives:

- Use a process monitoring tool like Monit (apt-get install monit). By
writing a small recipe you can have monit ensure your process (identified
by a pid file, which the git-proxy script will create) is running. It will
even make sure the proxy is available on a specific port and can be set up
to restart the service if it consumes too much resources
- Create a script in /etc/init.d like you suggested
- Even better, as Ubuntu has moved from /etc/init.d scripts to Upstart,
place a script in eg. /etc/init/git-proxy.conf - my Upstart knowledge is a
little rusty, but I'm sure someone on the list can share something...

Cheers,
- Marius