On 09/21/2012 12:55 AM, Russell Jackson wrote:

    Second: having trouble reproducing your issue. I fired up a cleanroom
    Gitorious VM, enabled sharding, created projects/repos, pushed code,
    turned off sharding, pushed more code without issue. Also tried the
    reverse: created project/repo while not sharded, pushed code,
    re-enabled
    sharding, pushed again. None of these scenarios caused any
    exceptions in
    either the /log/message_processing.log or /log/production.log.

Not quite.

It was only newly created repositories after sharding was turned off that had problems. Existing sharded repositories would continue to work normally with the setting either way. Like wise, the new repositories would continue to not work with the setting either way (which makes me suspect it has something to do with the actual filesystem storage location).

My installation is several years old, so it could just be that something is screwed up in my database and only gets triggered with sharding off.

Yeah, the big version jump in your installation might be a problem. One thing you could try is to simply create a brand spanking new installation and attempt to use the new snapshot/restore commands to migrate your old data (db and repositories) there.

http://blog.gitorious.org/2012/09/20/simple-backup-and-recovery-with-the-snapshot-command/

And if you haven't already done so: if your installation is really old (2009 or older) you may have to look into this wiki page:

https://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/LegacyUpgrade

--
best regards,
Thomas Kjeldahl Nilsson