On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 07:54:10AM -0700, Rich Kucera wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:51:53 AM UTC-4, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Rich Kucera <kucerarich...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Background:
> >> We're trying to adopt git,  enterprise inhouse,   with gitorious stack
> >> from bitnami (saved a lot of work...).
> >> ssh works fine,   git protocol does not due to firewall and that's ok (I
> >> proved it works on my laptop).
> >> Because of some internal partitioning,   we can't ssh in both directions.
> >> This is OK,  because I can still push the repositories in one direction
> >> for deployments.  That's the last option.
> >> Well rsync push was the last option tried,  but git is now perceived as
> >> "partially working".
> >>
> >> Problem:
> >> HTTP protocol does not work in any case.   It says "you appear to have
> >> cloned an empty repository"
> >> when I know there is stuff in the repository.   If I had http,  then
> >> presumably there'd be a pull option for deployment
> >> in addition to the single push option I have left.
> >>

> > Rich,
> > Did you set up modxsendfile on the server and point this to the correct
> > location? Gitorious assumes this Apache module is installed and configured
> > so it intercepts headers like "X-Sendfile: " pointing to the path where the
> > git repository resides on disk.
> >
> > There's a page on the wiki outlining this and other components in
> > Gitorious here:
> > https://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/GitoriousComponents#HTTP+cloning++
> >
> >  _Marius
> >

> Thanks Marius,
>
> mod_xsendfile is not there in the bitnami stack apache modules directory.
>
> Guess the options are now:
> - compile in and configure xsendfile into bitnami stack and go through that
> nightmare, probably will learn a lot.
> - duct tape it with rsync push to remote nodes from local "staging" repo
> - configure minimal git ssh on remote nodes to handle git push instead of
> git pull at remote,  still requires "staging" repo to push from.
> - check out TeamForge..

Rich,
One thing you could do to get up and running really quickly (with the
necessary Apache modules) is to use our brand new installer from
http://getgitorious.com/

There's an installer you can run on a clean CentOS 6.3 machine (fully
automated), and even a virtual appliance that comes preconfigured.

Cheers,
- Marius