HI James,
>From the gems that bundler installed on your machine it looks like it tried
to install an old version of gitorious. Please make sure that you have
latest ce-installer pulled and that the code in /var/www/gitorious/app is
checked out at version v3.0.2 (d269db3d9bef31b51d4c399b4232a14b930c6a8f).
If its not, please manually checkout it to this version and rerun the
upgrade.sh.

About upgrading guide, you are right, this template is missing, we've
changed the way unicorn is started and monitored recently, I'll update the
docs.

Cheers,
Pawel