This is with reference to Chetan's interesting article on ICT's
EMPOWERING MOTHER'S & KIDS IN DELHI'S SLUMS.

The idea is certainly very novel, but it appears as if we are giving
champagne to a person who has not had food for 10 days. Information is
of no use if the poor do not have the capacity to use it to their
benefit. Let us think and discuss if we could have better spent the
money in collectivising the poor into groups (community based
organisations), build capacity to manage their own affairs and decide
what is direly needed by them in the situation they are in? Long term
plan, yes, but surely worth the effort.

ICT certainly has its benefits. I do not dey that. But it has to be part
of a larger intervention of holistic empowerment and not an
unsustainable intervention without any participation or ownership by the
people.

Regards,

K. Rajaraman

Executive Director
Tamil Nadu Womens' Development Corporation
100, Anna Saalai, Guindy
Chennai-6000032, TAMIL NADU
INDIA
Ph:++91-44-2355033
Fx:++91-44-2352751
Res: ++91-44-6613156
Mobile: ++91-9841042091
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
e-mail(office) :[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Towards a gender-just society : Women's Empowerment Year 2001