It is truely unfortunate that a pilot project can not stand after the pilot
phase with its services as before. The radio is reported to be so dear to
many people in the area and then I wonder why it can not sustain the
service, that stimulate listeners and users alike.

I dont think it good idea to get more funders to support the program
(Internet component), now is the time for internal reorganisation with the
program and spending styles of the radio to fit into the requirements for
remaining on line. I think with regard to ICT related development areas,
donor/funders should support social marketing and promotions of services,
Kothmale is now over that.

We need to examine areas where cut backs can be made in the design,
structure and spending patterns of the radio including areas where
reallocations internally can be made.

For instance, with 64kbps, that is a good fast link to the Internet, the
radio should charge for Internet access at Gampola and Nawalapitiya
community libraries. It should cut back on the Internet access time in the
studio and thus reduce money spent on line. The idea of audio streaming
during broadcasts is nice but expensive and I recommend that Kothmale first
choose to stay on air and online before getting sophisticated. At least the
radio should aim at raising the minimum US $ 100 - 200 per month to cover
operation costs for the link or down grade the link to what the radio can
afford. I'm not familiar with the telecom situation in Sri Lanka but for
radio browsing any thing less than 64kbps would do in the circumstances. The
radio does not have an obligation, in my view, to continue with a 64 kbps
established under a free service by the telecom if they can not afford it.
It may also be useful to negotiate a new arrangement with the ISP to provide
Internet access on a special rate for the selected time the radio is online
with broadcasts.

Besides, is there any collection (funds) made during the period when the
telecom co. was providing free access? it could be used to shock absorb the
pay-per-use period. The idea of commercialing afternoon broadcasts would be
a right suggestion too, at 75% alleged self support, the radio is not bad and
can break even quiet easily.

In the overall, I recommend that a solution be found within the operational
costs and a minimum capacity to remain on line. We may further discuss
along this line but the basic fact that the Internet component should stay
in the radio. Yes, these are the realities of the developing world.

Regards, Meddie

Meddie Mayanja
Uganda National Commission for UNESCO