A quick response to John Hibbs response, he wrote:

> How does ICT happen, commercially, in places where
> tecno-entrepreneurial skills are as rare as a good working telephone?

I believe the Grammen Bank micro-credit intitiative raises question
marks over the notion of a lack of entrepreneurial skills in developing
countries. I think that the Village Pay phone scheme demonstrates that
technical capacities can be introduced via microcredit initiatives.  I
think the cases of the "simputer" and the "world space foundation" show
that developing country based techno-entrepreneurial intitiatives can
lead to new and useful applications of existing technologies.

There is a political problem related to "recipient" agency involved here
that is general to most development discussions:  If "they" are capable
of less "we" need to do more, and that gives "us" something to do with
our lives. I do agree with the idea of a "multi stranded approach"
involving donors large and small and also local skills etc.  But never
underestimate "them."  It is "their" lives after all.

Daniel Taghioff