Volunteers excepted, Instant messaging based on PCs has limited
application for the public at large in many countries in the developing
world when compared to the use of equivalent applications associated
with hand held devices.

These include mobile phones with microbrowsers or more likely SMS and/or
voice over mobile telephony. While the latter two apps would not permit
the point and click utility that you have programmed into the instant
messaging application, it would be very useful nevertheless (and I
presume point and click could also be implemented using microbrowsers).

Let me reiterate the importance of SMS and mobile tepephony here in
Botswana. In May there were 332,000 mobile phones in Botswana  and about
150,000 land lines for a population of close to 1.7 million people.

Just today I learned that as of Sept. 02, there are exactly 367,254 cell
phone users in Botswana. A stunning increase of about 35,000 over a few
months. In all, it is estimated that there are 65,000 PCs in Botswana,
and most of these are in the urban areas and in schools (every one of
the 250 secondary schools in the country for example). Could it be that
mobile phones diffuse sufficiently in countries like Botswana such that
we can start talking about universal service and not just universal
access?

Guido, write apps for handhelds... Consider their use for enabling
access to info of local import: local and regional market info, weather,
account enquiries with banks and utilities, breaking news, local stock
market quotes, etc.

When the number of community access centres achieves a penetration
similar to that of mobile phones (on a public access basis), consider
Instant Messaging as well (there are virtually no community access
centres in Botswana, although this is set to change very quickly).

Richard Labelle
Consultant, UNDP, Gaborone, Botswana Human
Development Report 2002-03 (Science and tech. for human
development).