Well, I received half a dozen copies of Tim Anderson's posting on the
World Computer Exchange. [***Moderator's Note: Due to a server problem,
multiple copies of this message were posted to the List. We apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused.***] I have nothing against
Timothy in person, and have in the past written positively about this
project.

But maybe it's time for some critical questions to be asked.

This approach kind of encourages us to think along business-as-usual
lines. The West can go on 'consuming' computers in an irresponsible
manner, at unsustainable levels, and "one man's junk is going to become
another man's treasure". A nice thought....

What is really needed is a radical review not just of how we compute,
but how we consume the world's resources, and what solutions are offered
to whom.

Some questions:

1. Has any study been done as to the impact of how long such computers
actually serve in Third World locations? Are these being used
effectively? Given the way hardware is made incompatible with that
produced just two to three years back, aren't we fighting an uphill
battle? How do we ensure computers are kept in a state of fair
maintenance?

2. What is the impact of software going the bloatware way, which makes
perfectly usable computers turn to junk due to the market-driven
planned-obsolence model? This is surely true of  Windows, and this is
also getting to be increasingly true of the major distros of GNU/Linux
(Red Hat/Mandrake), where we are getting big and bigger packages, in the
name of keeping up in the race. Is someone thinking about this? Apart
from the RULE project in Italy, one has not heard of building, say a
KDE-Lite, for us poor cousins out here. (For that matter, it would serve
everyone, and make fewer computers turn to 'junk' in the first place.)

3. What is the impact on recipients in the Third World? Is there no
better and more sustainable way of getting access to PCs? Are such
gift-horses appreciated well, or simply abused and misused by
recipients, who feel they've got the PCs in an easy way anyway?

4. Is this only a question of hardware, or are other issues like
software and syllabi equally important? In India, quite some schools
have Microsoft-only syllabi. What are the long-term implications of
this?

5. Finally, are we willing to ask inconvenient questions, or just take
the easy way out and swim with the tide?

No offence meant... Just that we could go ahead if we asked the tough
questions. FN