I am not in any way speaking for UNDP, but personally and
professionally.... Please note the reciprocal contrast between first and
last sentences in the introductory paragraph of this memo, then ask why
the title of this email exclusively focused on the first! This goes
beyond a classical example of the half-full, or half-empty glass.  As
part of a team who demonstrated empirically and conclusively the
surprising spread of e-comms in subSaharan Africa, and the implications
for social policy in key areas of development (Perspectives in Education
Vol 20 #2 pp 55-76), I suggest (and I think/hope there is wide
agreement) that young African children, all over the continent, have
inherently the right to the same opportunities for access to these
crucial technologies as their counterparts worldwide in rich countries
as well as poor. Public policy should recognize unequivocally the
astounding emergence of e-comms as a new reality in business,commerce,
and public service, thus comprising an essential educational requirement
in the development of human resources. Unless parents and communities
explicitly opt out, schools which ignore this reality are actively
depriving their students of critical skills acquisition in a fast moving
modern age. So it is incumbent on development agencies and the private
sector to work with OSS pioneers as well as the proprietary software
producers in addressing the existing commitments of governments to
education for all in the Millennium Goals. So focus on the last
sentence, and NOT the first!

Sally Gainsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Attempts to bridge the 'digital divide' could lead Africa down a costly
> path
>
> Poor planning, expensive software and under-utilisation make computers a
> costly mistake for some African schools. Research published by id21
> Insights Education shows that the yearly cost of supplying and
> maintaining one African school with 10 second-hand computers, software
> and technical support could be as high as the cost of 2000 text books or
> 3.6 teachers. Good planning and utilisation - such as making computers
> available for community use outside school hours - and free 'open
> source' software however, can lower costs dramatically.

..snip...