I think that the move to have teacher training schemes as part of the
package is exactly the solution to the mix-and match resulting from
donated hardware. In Goa, India, in many schools we have 3-4 donated
recycled PC's running Linux side by side with new government issued PC's
running Windows. Teachers were trained in using Linux and in the
similarities between OpenOffice and MS Office and as a result most of
the time all the computers are used simultaneously in a school lab.

Things get a bit trickier when it comes to educational software
compatibility, but even here there are applications such as the freeduc
set of applications which operate independent of OS.

Daryl Martyris
Goa Schools Computers project (GSCP)
www.gscp.org