Dear Colleagues,

I have been following this thread with interest. And quite a lot of what
has been written conflicts considerably with my current view of how
development has to work in order to achieve sustainable success.

The underlying issue is all about value and opportunity. If there is an
opportunity to create value with the resources at hand, there is the
possibility of value creation and sustainability and development
progress. Very little in the development arena has these
characteristics, and as a result no sustainability. The process ends up
being essentially a value destruction process.

If everything in development had to be paid for, there would be a far
better allocation of scarce resources. Maybe not very much of what the
NORTH offers as "development assistance" would actually be purchased.
But what would get purchased would be things that really have value.

If people with no money are loaned money to purchase what they need,
there would be minimum use of resources and maximum value from the use
of the resources. And repayment requirement ensures that only productive
use of resources gets to happen.

Clearly this is very different from what has been going on for the past
several decades. But changing to this would improve development
performance enormously. Simon Woodside's suggestion that donated
computers should find their way to small businesses that should sell
them and support them has merit. But don't deliver them at cost ....
deliver them at the price / value that makes sense for the small
business. Cost in this situation has little to do with value .... and
it is value that should determine the transfer price arrangements. If
the cost is out of line and higher than value, the item should have been
junked long ago.

Some of the issues surrounding software (bloatware) and the seeming
never ending upgrade cycle that has taken over the computer world are
important. My hope is that there will be a general rebellion against
the Microsoft software use model and that open source solutions will
take over. With growing acceptance of the Open Source solution .....
and a migration to LINUX from the multitude of MicroSoft operating
systems ....... the value or utility of old (low speed) computers will
increase significantly.

And a quick note about duties. One of the worst distortions in SOUTH
economies relates to duties. The UN system and the World Bank and
bilateral donors all find ways not to pay duty. Yet it is duty that is
one of the most important revenue elements in the government budget. It
is an abberation that the private sector gets to pay all the duties and
ODA gets exempt ..... and worse, some big FDI initiatives are also
exempt from this important source of government revenue. I favor low
duty rates, but I also favor a strong government revenue base that
pulls from all segments of the economy. If a government chooses to
exempt a product from duties, it should be based on solid economic
advantage. And there should be fewer exemptions that are routinely
given to the ODA community as of right.

Sincerely

Peter B

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 12:29 AM, Raju Dev Acharya wrote:

> > I totally agree with Guido Sohne. In Nepal I can buy a new PIII for
> > US$300. Also importing PC for distribution into the country takes a lot
> > of time and effort due to the never ending red tape and can take
> > months. This increases the cost of the PC if the cost incurred in the
> > host country is added to the total cost of the donor.
> >

> >  "Guido Sohne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> I was in a thread elsewhere that discussed this same issue and I also
> >> thought that shipping used PCs makes perfect sense. The problem is the
> >> actual cost of the used PCs when other overheads are taken into
> >> account.

Peter Burgess
ATCnet in New York
Tel: 212 772 6918 Fax: 707 371 7805