On 5/24/04, David Wortley wrote:
>COMMUNITY LEARNING BY RADIO AND THE INTERNET
>
>The forthcoming eLearn Expo conference in Moscow (May 27/28 -
>http://www.hcln.net/conferences.htm) provides an opportunity to showcase
>the use of interactive broadcasting for community learning by Radio and
>the internet, and potential models for sustainable development through
>combined community media/telecentres.

First, whenever David Wortley writes, I pay attention. Thank you David
for the below.

Next, while *nobody* is more passionate about the opportunities to
expand access to education than by good use of radio, I have a feeling
that what is often missed is the *pedagogic* value of radio --
particularly the value of putting microphone to the same lips that
created the content which is broadcast.

What would happen if micro radio would be so ubiquitous (and affordable)
that children everywhere would have a frequent opportunity to be their
own content developers? broadcasters? Wouldn't this activity compare to
the piano recital? Christmas play? soccer game? How much value arises
when the speaker knows that her grandmother is listening? or even the
mayor? what "internal" value comes to those who have "been on the
radio"?

I have asked for information that might confirm these suspicions; but
not much has come back. Any help or comments along these lines would be
greatly appreciated.

--
John W. Hibbs
http://www.bfranklin.edu