Dear GKD Members,

My name is Dr. Ken Kitson, and I am working as the software designer for
the Open Knowledge Network <www.openknowledge.net> which is being
co-ordinated by One World <www.oneworld.net> with partners in Africa,
Asia and Latin America.

The primary goal of OKN is to use information technology to stimulate
the generation and exchange of local content between disadvantaged
communities in the South. As such, key aspects of the software are that:
it supports local languages; is easy to install, use and fix; is capable
of working offline most of the time; works with relevant communication
methods (poor dial-up lines, compact discs, wireless, satellite); runs
on both Linux and Windows; uses open-source software and will become an
open-source project.

We have some pilot software (written in Java and PHP) running in around
30 community computing centres in India and four African countries,
working in seven languages. A demonstration site showing the live local
content from our network can be seen on the Internet at:
<http://london.openknowledge.net:8080/okn/newsheet_eng.html>

We are now designing the next release of the software, and would be
particularly interested to know if members of the GKD list:
- know of any similar projects we might collaborate with, or technology
we should investigate
- could advise which technology would be best for building up an active
open source community in the South (for example, is Java the most
popular language)
- would be interested in getting involved in contributing technical
advice to the OKN programme by joining our discussion group at:
<http://www.dgroups.org/groups/okntechnology>

Many thanks for your time.

Best wishes,

Ken Kitson