Manmohan Singh launches village resource centre

By Indo-Asian News Service

New Delhi, Oct 18 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday launched
the Village Resource Centre (VRC) that aims at providing a host of
intelligent services to make India's 600,000 villages prosperous.

Conceived by the Chennai-based M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation
and shaped by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the
satellite-based VRC is more than just bridging the urban-rural divide
through information technology.

The centre will be used to provide information about agricultural,
health, education and also government services to the villagers.

Launching the centre here, Manmohan Singh said: "Unless we take
the benefits of modern science and technology to our villages, we cannot
get rid of mass poverty which has afflicted millions and millions of our
people."

He described the mission as yet another saga of adventure and
enterprise to bring the benefit of modern technology for the development
of India's villages.

A satellite link provided by ISRO would provide villages with
local specific information. The VRCs would use communication and remote
sensing satellites to provide information on a range of subjects like
natural resources, sites for drinking water and ground water recharging,
water harvesting and wasteland reclaiming.

Initially, the VRC will be set up in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
and Wayanad and Palakkad areas of Kerala and in some parts of the
northeast.

ISRO and the Department of Space plan to set up more such VRCs in
regions such as islands, mountainous terrains and tribal-dominated
areas, before extending the service to all 600,000 villages.

Frederick Noronha (FN)                    Nr Convent Saligao 403511 GoaIndia
Freelance Journalist                      P: 832-2409490 M: 9822122436
http://www.livejournal.com/users/goalinks http://fn.swiki.net
http://www.ryze.com/go/fredericknoronha   http://fn-floss.notlong.com
Difficulties to send email across? Write to fredericknoronha at vsnl.net