Dear Colleagues,

Barry Coetzee raises an issue I know is the focus of research, for
example, within Community Economics, and is certainly the object of a
popular debate here in the United States.

A parallel example: Recently a number of communities in the USA have
passed regulations effectively barring a major company, Walmart, from
locating in their markets, apparently because they recognized the
broader impacts that might have on the mix of employment, economic
growth, etc.

Much of the conversation here seems to focus on how large corporations
can somehow address low-income market segments. Barry Coetzee seems to
be wondering if we're addressing the right question.

Cheers!
Jeff

----
Bureau for Economic Growth, Agriculture and Trade
Office for Energy and Information Technology RRB 4.06-066
1300 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20523-3800
Tel +1 (202) 712-1956, Cell +1 (301) 728-2160, Fax +1 (202) 216-3466
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.usaid.gov Keyword:ICT

On Monday, November 8, 2004, Barry Coetzee wrote:

> Our philosophy is that we HAVE to make the "poor" (the majority of our
> population) profitable. They will be our only market once the MNCs have
> 'cherry-picked' the top-end of their market. My experience is that there
> are very few partnerships with MNCs. They buy-out the locals if they see
> any profits. However, as their focus is actually their home states, they
> do not want to build on the local industry, but to further distribute
> the products and services that they developed at the head-office. Thus,
> my experience is that, in general, MNCs look after their own interests.
> In Africa that tends to be the top end of the market. The result of this
> is that the difference between the "haves" and the "have nots" tends to
> increase with the advent of MNCs.

..snip...