On 11/18/04, Arrigo della Gherardesca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let's assume one had developed an ICT product (or system), that could be
> very helpful to rural communities.

We have initiated proof of concept work on the Jhai PC and communication
system on the Navajo reservation in Arizona with follow-on betas in
preparation in at least South Africa and China. We have had inquiries
from over 65 countries. This system is for communities without
electricity, telephone lines or cell phone connectivity. We have a
business plan that lays out our strategy that I would be glad to share.
There is an economist piece about the project on our website
<http://www.jhai.org/economist.htm>

> Now, how could one go about financing the TeleCentres, on a reasonably
> wide scale? A mix of donor-grant and debt financing? Does anyone on this
> List have any experience in this and would like to share it?

We assume a mix of donor-grants and debt financing. For example, on the
Navajo reservation the POC is financed mainly by the Cisco Corporation.
In China the beta will be (in process, good reason to assume) financed
by a Chinese corporation. In South Africa, we expect a mix of financing
with lead donation from Cisco. In Laos, we expect to link with the
Italian-financed STEA Center and have reason to expect to have funding
from another European national funder. In the Philippines we hope for
financing from both a Filipino corporation and the government. In Congo
our partner is looking for funding from the French government. All
these projects are implemented by and are done or expected to be done in
cooperation with grounded local partners. With the exception of the
Navajo, South African, and Lao implementations, local NGO's are seeking
their own funding, often with our help, but not always. However, in all
cases, *replacement*, maintenance, and running-cost financing will come
from the centers run as businesses by families, communities or
individuals. For big roll-outs the prices will necessarily come down
greatly. Everything I mention above is either a POC or a beta test of
the system and when I say 'system' I mean the entire
technical/social/anthropological/economic/relational system. We expect
help on big roll outs in South Africa, Philippines, India, China and/or
perhaps in a location in South America (to be determined). Our system
is open source, open design. We expect competitive pricing at runs of
v.2+ of 10,000 or more.

The hard work of the people in Phon Kham and elsewhere in Lao PDR cannot
be over-emphasized. They defined the problems to be addressed, they
searched for solutions that fit their situation, they helped us define
and test their solution and worked hard to achieve permission for the
first site, and we partnered with them to develop the business tools to
make the project sustainable. This, I believe, is the most important
information in this piece. End users defined the problem and helped
solve it. We expect this in each implementation. End users are
involved from day one.

Here is a brief description of our project:

The Jhai PC and Communication System is holistic and groundbreaking. It
is developed to meet the expressed needs of one remote village for phone
communication and office functions for business and connections, and for
their children's education in business and IT. It is applicable to
900,000,000 people who have no phones, mobile connection or electricity,
designed to make a profit for poor villagers, designed by villagers,
leading IT pioneers and award-winning Jhai development staff. Jhai has
assembled an outstanding team to drive the development of the Jhai PC
and Communication System. Jhai has a strong team of partner engineers,
as well as volunteers expert in finance, business development,
marketing, and administration. Among the latter volunteers is Howard
Neff, former senior executive of Applied Materials and founding
executive of the Tech Laureate Venture Network.

The system was assembled from off-the-shelf components to meet the
extreme demands of rural Laos. It draws very low power and can survive
dirt, heat, and immersion in water. The Village Jhai PC is powered by
pedaling a bicycle. Villagers have a choice of using a telephone handset
or a computer for communications. The system includes the village PC,
an 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless Local Area Network (LAN) with a central
relay station, powered by a solar array, and a regional server, which
connects the system to the Internet and Lao telephone system. It also
includes a Lao-language version of the free, Linux-based KDE graphical
desktop and office suite tools. Everything in this system can be
modified for local conditions on an open-source, open design basis.

***Jhai PC and Communication System includes localized business planning
for profit***

With help from Lao IT entrepreneurs, villagers have created a for-profit
micro-enterprise plan to ensure profitable long-term operation of the
system. This plan includes provisions for wages for local youth to run
the system, local technicians to maintain the system, and technical
people for remote support, as well as running and replacement costs.

This year the Jhai Foundation plans:

(1)  to complete testing and installation of the Jhai PC and
Communication System in five villages,

(2)  to demonstrate that these village micro-enterprises can produce
profit; and

(3)  to begin the early stages of facilitating the scaling of this
project to many more locations.

About Jhai

The foundation's IT projects have been honored as 'best practices' by UN
agencies and ASEAN and have won the Stockholm Challenge Award. This
project was named a Laureate in the 2003 Tech Awards. The Jhai
Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation, was started in 1998 by Lee
Thorn, a Lao air war veteran, and Bounthanh Phommasathit, a Lao air war
refugee. Jhai is a reconciliation effort focused on self-sufficient
economic development. Since 1998, Jhai has started several locally
driven entrepreneurial programs. These include a coffee growing/export
program, an internet learning center program and the Jhai PC and
Communication System.

Hope this helps.

yours, in Peace,

Lee

Jhai means hearts and minds working together

--
Lee Thorn
Chair  Jhai Foundation

350 Townsend St., Ste. 309