Dear Colleagues,

I am always intrigued by discussion about different metrics, and
frequently come away with the impression that there is a high level of
dissatisfaction about metrics as currently practiced.

I was involved in the early days of management information systems,
before it was normal for corporations to have complete and comprehensive
information systems to provide managers with all the key information
needed to make good decisions. One of the keys for management
information success was always to combine the raw accounting information
with important operational information. Most departments do not have a
"profit" bottom line, but there is certainly a big difference between a
well run department and one that is sloppy and expensive, and this can
almost always be measured using some very obvious metric.

Management By Objective -- MBO was a fashion in the corporate world for
a while, and often failed to produce much performance improvement except
when it was integrated into the management information system, and then
it became very valuable. In most development situations it is possible
to articulate objectives that have social impact, and it should be
possible to report against such objectives, as well as having the
related accounting information for the cost of achieving the objectives.
As far as I am concerned objectives can be anything that the entity
wants them to be...a good system will help report the progress and the
cost...and that is a big step forward in managing development.

It is a separate step to think through the value of an objective. Value
is what the development community should be seeking to maximise, though
it seems to have been ignored in most development decision making for a
very long time. I would argue that an individual, in a family and in a
(beneficiary) community should be the main source of information to
determine the value of any development objective. Of course this is how
a working market economy functions...people will buy something if it is
affordable and the value is higher than the price...people will produce
something if its price is higher than its cost. Value adding is
essentially the difference between cost and value. However, imitating
this in an administered development environment is not always easy.

Social objectives often have high value to people and families and
communities, but the costs are also high and price then unaffordable.
Delivering social services on a sustainable basis through subsidy may be
the only option, but where it is possible, the dynamic of development
would be better served by seeking ways for the community to earn enough
so that social services are affordable. Development, in my view, has
ignored far too much the potential of communities to have their
productivity improved by appropriate investment and method improvement.
Far too many projects have put the resources in the wrong place and
ended up with a terrible waste of money, but investment in the right
place can make a huge difference.

And in the case of health and the current AIDS pandemic, social value has
tremendous importance. But the enormous value of AIDS interventions should
not be confused with the cost. The work needed to relate realized social
value in the AIDS crisis with the related costs is important work, and
should be an integral part of the management of all resources associated
with the pandemic. From what I know of this field, I think we will be
shocked at the ineffective way most resources in this segment of relief and
development are used when the social value is assessed from the perspective
of the SOUTH where the crisis is endemic.

Most "experts" who have spent more than a few weeks on the ground have
learned a lot about different implementation modalities and their
successes and failures. But hardly any of this knowledge finds its way
into the public domain, which is a pity. It is something that
"transparency" would achieve, but for the moment it seems that there is
more interest in talking about transparency than in actually doing
transparency. My feeling is that this is in the process of changing.

I am very hopeful that soon there will be some big changes in the way
transparency, accounting and accountability and effective monitoring and
evaluation (TAAME) is accomplished, and after that significant changes
in the performance of development.

Sincerely

Peter Burgess
Peter Burgess