Dear Colleagues,

My thanks for your contintuing interest and suggestions.

On 1/24/05, Adriana Labardini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...I strongly suggest that you include the questions he raises such as:
>
> * Can he share the tractor with other farmers?
> * Can he rent one or have a cooperative own it?

Perhaps I should explain that the farmer and I know each other well.
It's not as if he emailed me with this problem. He brought this problem
to me last time I was in Ago-Are and we discussed it at some length.
This idea of a tractor is not a sudden whim. He has in fact been trying
to do something about it for years. When he visited me he raised various
issues like the ones above and explained his thinking . Please be
assured that  I did not ignore these questions because I regarded them
as unimportant - but because they have already been addressed.

In reference to everything Sam Lanfranco wrote about this "opportunity
for a useful piece of "mini-research"..."

Yes, absolutely, please can we find some way to do that. Thank you Sam
for suggesting the possibility of making this flow of information a
two-way flow -- and for recognising that costs are involved, including
the time that the farmer has to put in. He is a man I respect deeply for
his knowledge, wisdom, integrity, hard work, commitment to the community
and generosity of spirit. You may find that you want to explore more
with him than simply his efforts to buy a tractor.

Here are some practical details from my side. The farmer knows me and
approached me because of my involvement with the OCDN InfoCentre in
Ago-Are. (OCDN is a core member of the CawdNet network.) The man who did
all the practical work setting up the InfoCentre was David Mutua - a VSO
volunteer from Kenya... David and the farmer worked closely together
during those two years. David went back to Kenya when his VSO placement
ended, but has now returned to Nigeria.

David would be the ideal man to go and discuss all the issues and report
back on them. He is currently at Kafanchan (North Central Nigeria) with
Fantsuam Foundation (FF is another core member of CawdNet). David is
working on a short term contract for CawdNet funded by FF and CAWD.
CAWD (the initiator of CawdNet) is a tiny UK registered charity that was
initially set up to raise money amongst friends and family to support
the work of OCDN <www.bmycharity.com/cawd1>

We are very keen to help people have a better and more realistic view of
how life really is in rural Nigeria, and are always open to discussions
about how this can be achieved - from arranging visits to finding out
specific information. However, as we are un-funded, we can only do this
if people are willing to be realistic about the costs involved.

Pam

Pamela McLean
CAWD volunteer
CawdNet  Convenor
CawdNet - linking rural communities and virtual communities