Dear GKD Members,

Hello and great question about the telecenters! I have listed some I
know of below (Fantsuam among them), then more general reources, and
finally mentioned projects with which I am affiliated, through KAIPPG
<www.kaippg.org>, an HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit with HQ in Kenya
and my international branch in the USA. We had had a few computers in
Kenya for office use until the GenARDIS grants (see below)--in 2003 and
now 2005--allowed us to introduce ICTs more widely into our activities
and in the communities we serve. Thanks much and look forward to hearing
from others and sharing more about our own work!

All best wishes,

Janet Feldman
KAIPPG International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Telecenters:
Asante Akim Multipurpose Community Telecenter:
http://www.patriensa.com (Ghana)

CAWD (Committee for African Welfare and Development)
http://www.cawd.info

Owerri Digital Village (Nigeria):
http://www.unites.org/cfapps/WSIS/story.cfm?Sid=22 (more on this is at
the Youth for Technology site, which doesn't seem to be working today,
but just recently checked in and they were doing
fine...www.youthfortechnology.org)

Nakaseke Telecenter (Uganda):
http://ip.cals.cornell.edu/commdev/documents/module06.doc
I first found out about this project and org. through WOUGNET (Women of
Uganda Network), which has other such resources too: www.wougnet.org

MS Swaminathan Research Foundation (India):
http://www.mssrf.org/index.htm

Datamation Foundation:
http://www.datamationfoundation.org/villageict.htm

WiRED International:
http://www.wiredinternational.org (10 countries worldwide have
health-related telecenters)

UNITeS:  http://www.unites.org (telecenters have been set up through
this program)

Multiple Listings of Telecenters and related resources globally:
www.developmentgateway.org (6 pages of resources)
http://wriws1.digitaldividend.org/wri/app/index.jsp
http://www.eldis.org/cf/search/index.cfm?keywords=Telecenters&resource=f1
<http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=3938&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECT
IO
N=201.html>

In Kenya, two programs w/which I am connected, as a member of KAIPPG
(Kenya AIDS Intervention Prevention Project Group):
1) http://www.onevillagefoundation.org/ovf/projects/ovf_kenya/grassup.html
(a multi-party nonprofit coalition, sponsored by The Commonwealth of
Learning, with ICTs/ODL projects in 3 communities, and in each a
telecenter...KAIPPG is establishing a group of information kiosks in
addition to a centralized community center, this due in part to 2
GenARDIS grants)
2) http://ictupdate.cta.int/index.php/article/frontpage/29 ("Kenya" entry)
GenARDIS 2003 competition

The latter project actually began the community telecenter and kiosks
approach we have been able to develop in the rural communities we serve
in W. Kenya. KAIPPG works in a number of districts there, and our
holistic program encompasses all aspects of addressing HIV/AIDS, plus
poverty/income-generation, mal/nutrition and food security, education
and healthcare, environmental sustainability, and gender/youth concerns.

For both GenARDIS 2003 and 2005 (we have just won a second grant to
build upon our first project), we introduced ICTs--radio, mobile phones,
audio (cassette/recorders) and visual (video and photography)--to the
women's groups who comprise our nutritional field schools. They now have
a range of information and new skills with which to gain access to
markets for their products, create multimedia educational content,
become advocates for their own needs and interests, and ensure a better
livelihood and health for themselves and their families. Most of these
women are farmers, most HIV/AIDS-affected in some way, and--before this
project--some 90% had little to no literacy. The GenARDIS 2005 grant
will allow us to set up more information-kiosks, create more multimedia
content, and improve our learning centers.

Through the GRASSUP NOW project ("Grassroots Underpinnings: Poverty,
Nutrition, ODL/ICTs, Women"), the parties involved have developed both a
model of cooperation and packages of contents (educational modules) in
the areas of income-generation, nutrition, and environmental education.
Each of 3 parties is operating in part already via learning centers, and
upgrading and further development of these centers are planned for the
next phases of the project. We may also work with the Kenyan government
and others on an e-government initiative which is being discussed now.

We did start out as an organization focusing on development, and then
added ICTs. One or more of our partners does have ICTs as integral to
its development purpose and mission, however, and one partner is a
Kenyan affiliate of World Computer Exchange in Boston, an ICTs-based
company seeking to use them for development purposes. We (individually
as KAIPPG and collectively as GRASSUP do hope that what we are doing can
be translated into a "model" and used by others, and there has been
interest in doing so as expressed by orgs in other parts of Africa.

The integrative focus on ICTs, nutrition, income-generation, health
issues may be breaking new ground in some ways, but we are not alone in
doing this kind of work. In fact, some of the resources used to help us
craft the ideas for our GenARDIS grants came from the groundbreaking
work of others, like Nancy Hakfin and Helen Hambly Odame, who have
researched and written on the topics of "gender and ICTs"
(http://www.apc.org/english/hafkin/haf_about.shtml,
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~hhambly).

Another Resource:
Title: Telecenters and the Gender Dimension: An Examination of How
Engendered Telecenters are Diffused in Africa
Graduation Year: 2003

View Thesis: http://cct.georgetown.edu/thesis/KelbyJohnson.pdf

Abstract

Telecenters have become an important component to development programs
that seek to narrow the digital and knowledge divides that exist
throughout the world. Despite the proliferation of telecenters
throughout Africa, women continue to be cut off from essential info-
communication resources that could improve their lives. This thesis
examines the relationship between gender differences, telecenter design
and women's accessibility to information and communication technologies
(ICTs). By examining how these elements interact in the context of the
diffusion model, this thesis suggests that the incorporation of the
gender dimension into telecenter designs can enhance the diffusion of
engendered telecenters, thereby increasing women's access to ICTs and
improving their ability to contribute to the evolution of Africa's
information society.