Isn't at least some of the corruption of local officials the result of
the lack of education? They do not know how to function except in
traditional baksheesh ways.

One scholar who has studied governance in many countries says that the
USA also ought to require every government official to take a course on
good governance.

I talked recently with a student from a North African country and asked
if he planned to work for the government when he got home. He replied,
scornfully; "That bunch is all graft and intimidation." Then he relaxed
and said: "But I guess they don't know any better, especially how to
cope with a bad system.."

So perhaps online and in local programs there might be training, as in
India where barefoot engineers, etc., are educated on how to work with
limited materials in small poor communities.

In time, and now is the time to prepare, more village schools can become
'telecenter-type' not only to provide Internet connections so citizens
can connect to government services and information, but also to
specialized courses. School teachers must be certified that they have
learned how to teach. Wouldn't it be great if all officials had to take
a certification course. (And maybe many of them would if the course was
available...even on a CD that could be listened to on a music-CD player
or radio, ....

++++
Parker Rossman is exploring online in a draft textbook, free to the
world, how to use the Internet to provide health care and learning for
everyone on the planet
http://ecolecon.missouri.edu/globalresearch/index.html

On Monday, May 16, 2005, Pamela McLean wrote:

> CawdNet has a long standing interest in local government. Our late
> founder's inital vision was based on working with all ten local
> governments in Oke-Ogun.

..snip...