On 5/26/05, Tshepo Thlaku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...People would rather walk several kilometers to visit a relative and
> talk face-to-face rather than chatting online.

I have been working with the communities and organisations to
encourage/stimulate use of ICTs. I know that people use the tools
because:

*they know how to use them
*the tools are convenient
*the tools serve a critical purpose effectively - they simplify life
*the tools are affordable

The use of cell-phones is not an accident. The technology embodies all
the above and more. People would not just walk to talk to a relative
several kilometres away if there was an effective, affordable and
accessible means meeting the need.

We must appreciate that ICTs have not yet been appropriated in many
spheres of life - education, health, business, governance. Therefore
ICTs remain just tools whose purpose has not been largely defined in the
current circumstance....we cannot blame a headmaster of a school who
would rather buy flower gardens for the school compound than buy toner
for the school lab printer. The job is not yet done _it's still the task
to be accomplished_  by the "knowledgeable" info champions.

Meddie