Dear Davis,

I can't offer an existing program, but can suggest some elements of a
holistic approach to your problem.

I'm assuming that you have little influence over the roads and power
supply. I wonder where you currently email from, and what the local
situation is regarding distance from cyber cafes and phone networks -
perhaps you will have to arrange your own VSAT.

You also mention the President, so I wonder if what you are doing might
be some kind of pilot project. If so, that could influence some of the
decisions you might take regarding building your local ICT4D
initiatives. If in the long run you would be serving a wider area than
just your local district then you could have more ambitious ideas for
developing local skills and your general approach to technology transfer
and your ICT4D programme - too big an issue for this mail but important
to consider.

I'm assuming you want:

* Effective use of ICTs/digital technologies at the district
headquarters, so that the administration is efficient, appropriate and
transparent.
* Improved communication "upwards and across" with central government
and other district offices
* Improved communication and administration of local services such as
health and education.
* Improved communication and administration regarding individuals in the
districts you serve.
* Maximum local economic benefit i.e. investments in ICTs should as far
as possible impact positively on the local economy rather than draining
resources to outside suppliers of goods and services. This means that
you should be looking carefully at developing such local provision.

These are suggestions:

Before you place any orders for equipment you should set up a mechanism
for informed debate amongst key stakeholders about the adoption of
ICTs/digital technology in the district.  (From now on I'll just call it
ICTs for short - but I mean it in its wider digital sense - i.e not only
computers). Start with some awareness training for local government
officials and other key players, such as representatives from education,
health, and local community groups.

The training should:

* "Break the ice" regarding operating a computer (give participants
enough hands on experience to feel that "If I need to use a computer and
I am given more training then I am confident about doing so".)
* Demonstrate key applications and their relevance (so people can see
how these relate to the kind of information processing and communication
issues relevant to their personal responsibilities and tasks and to
those of their staff and others involved.)
* Introduce other issues relating to Total Costs of Ownership (such as
staff training, software, maintenance and replacement of equipment,
electrical power and generators, costs of going online )
* Start the informed debate and lay plans for continuing it.
* Use the need for continuing the debate as a focus for a short needs
analysis and planning project, to help participants to analyse what
tasks go with what applications.

You will have done your homework before hand and will have a "stock
cupboard full of information for reference". (We are preparing an online
one for an LGov course in Nigeria, so you are welcome to dip into that
as well as your own).

Don't just replicate the solutions that people have adopted elsewhere.
Find out what they choose *and why*. You may want to achieve the same
ends but in a different way. People often buy what they are used to, or
what their technical team prefer to work on, or what is compatible with
existing equipment. You aren't used to anything yet and you haven't got
a technical team so your starting point is rather different.

You are not tied into the past like other people are, so explore all the
options. You have already heard the Simputer discussed. Find out all you
can about unconventional solutions. I don't know about the Simputer, but
I have been with the Solo during field tests. It was with the second
generation prototype, which, along with its little solar panels was
carried in a small suitcase - not much bigger than a modern generously
sized briefcase/pilot's bag. We never needed to think about electricity
supplies and we were able to send and receive emails wherever we went -
way out in rural areas with no telephones or cyber cafes.  Do look at
all the new ideas that are becoming available.

I haven't seen the latest version of the Solo, but I have seen a photo
of it being put through its paces by  Fantsuam Foundation in Kafanchan.
You could learn a lot by visiting there, as they are rural , with
problems similar to your own. I don't know if you will need to arrange
your own communications - but if so you would also find it useful to see
what they are doing in Kafanchan with their VSAT and discover their
plans for rolling that service out into the wider community. There is
far too much to discuss here in any detail, but i am happy to be
contacted off list.

I hope this has been some help.

Pam

Pamela McLean