Dear GKD Members,

I'm responding to the query by C Wendy Olpert on examples where
communities are shaping the use of ICT development and applications.
First, let me introduce myself. I'm exploring innovative solutions to
the development challenges we face in southern Africa.

I would like to mention an ICT project - the Mogalakwena HP i-community
- a partnership between HP, the Limpopo Province and the Mogalakwena
Municipality in South Africa. The project is aimed at building local ICT
capacity and starting a sustainable livelihoods initiative to address
the challenges faced by the community in a sustainable manner.

Building municipal ICT capacity enhances local ICT infrastructure,
builds staff ICT capacity, and improves service delivery to the public.
Multi-purpose centres are created to build sustainable service solutions
to the community. A major focus is communicating the vast potential that
ICT holds to improve government electronic service delivery. A
demonstration room showcases innovations in e-service delivery from
around the world relevant to the municipality and communities.
Transforming the project into a global model for a multi-purpose centre
and establishing a centre of excellence programme through schools.

Innovative solutions are sought for villages, which lack access to clean
water, electricity or telecommunications. The sustainable livelihoods
initiative has introduced a variety of ICT-enhanced solutions to meet
the basic challenges they face. A fully fledged call centre has been
introduced where call centre agents study and work at the same time.

More information on the Mogalakwena HP i-community - Phase 11 progress
update is available at <www.hpicommunity.org.za>

Kind regards,

Elsa Kruger-Cloete,
Development Bank of Southern Africa