Stefan Kühn, 17/11/2015 19:51:
It is total 16 GB in the JPG-Version. The originals are TIFF with 40 MB
each.

So you are reducing the size by 98.7 % on average compared to the original? Quite a pity.

Ok, this could be a way. I can upload this picture at Tool Labs with
SFTP. And then I have a URL like
https://tools.wmflabs.org/my_project/images/00001.jpg

Yes, though until recently those could not be used directly in GWT.

Yes, I have enough bandwidth.

One more question: Should we upload TIFF or JPG? Ok, TIFF is a lossless
image format. But I think JPG is more in use.

A common practive is to upload both.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Lossy_and_lossless_compression
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:File_types#TIFF

For a 1000px image of a postcard I think that both reducing space with JPG compression and uploading a "raw" TIFF makes little sense. If I were you I'd just convert to PNG and upload that.

Nemo